Monday, May 21, 2018

Doctor Mom Blog Hop + Picture Book Release



Thank you to everyone participating in the blog hop! 


Prompt: Share a favorite memory you have of your mom. 
Or just share a picture of your mom that you cherish. 
Or you can do both!

The only picture I have of my mom and me.

Growing up in a northern state everyone had to deal with long winters, but Mom also had to deal with us three kids home for days because of a blizzard. Things got boring fast if the snow was too deep or if it was too cold to slide down the snow banks. Of course, there was coloring, puzzles, or games, and we even put on plays for our parents. I remember one play we did called Stone Soup.

Then Mom had the best idea. She invented “Family Night,” which was held every Friday evening when the dishes were done and the newspaper was read. One of the five in our family hosted the event, picking out a board or card game to play and serving a dessert or snack. When it was my turn, I thought about it all week. Sometimes Mom helped me plan a fabulous snack. Naturally, everyone was glad when it was Mom’s Friday. She came up with the best dessert. Dad’s favorite was root beer floats, but Mom topped that with individual banana splits served in clear, crystal “banana split” dishes filled with a fat banana, three scoops of ice cream, whipped cream or chocolate syrup, and a cherry on top. The works!

When my kids were little, I took my mom’s idea and created “party,” a nightly event for my kids to enjoy snacks and soda while watching TV before bed. And my kids, all grown now, still talk about their memories of having their “party” before bedtime.

I still have one of those crystal dishes from the Family Nights from my childhood. Now, I usually fill it with pickles, radishes, or cherry tomatoes for dinner. I guess I should make myself a banana split it in honor of Mom. 😊



Title: Doctor Mom
Author: Elaine Kaye
Genre: Picture Story Book
Ages: 5-8 years


BLURB: It’s Saturday, and Gregory Green can’t wait to have fun with his dad on the riding lawnmower, but something is wrong. Sammy, his teddy bear and best friend, won’t get out of bed. Gregory is worried when he sees Sammy’s left leg is torn. This is a case for Doctor Mom! Can they fix Sammy? And just how did Sammy get hurt in the first place?


PRAISE FOR DOCTOR MOM:

"Doctor Mom is an adorable story that shows how Moms can fix anything—even a torn limb on a beloved teddy bear! Children will enjoy the lovable little bear who needs a stitch or two and his boy who plays dress-up as a doctor." – Wanda Luthman, award-winning author of Little Birdie Grows Up

“A sweet and heartfelt tale kids can easily identify with, and all of that with a wonderful touch of magic.” – Tonja Drecker, reviewer at Bookworm for Kids

BUY LINK:


19 comments:

  1. I still think of my snacks and TV time at night as “party.” :) Love you, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely memory, Elaine. How great you were able to recreate that into memories for your children. Best wishes on your new release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! And thanks for visiting! It's a joy being able to pass on things my mom did with me to my kids and grand kids.

      Delete
  3. That's cool! Great memories, and now I feel a strong longing for a banana split...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hankering for a banana split, too. Yum!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Elaine on another cute book. Love your story about your mom. I grew up in a family with six kids. Mom stayed home and took care of us and dad worked...a lot. Fridays were special in our house too. Mom didn't drive so Dad took her to the grocery store every Friday. She would but the big snack pack of chips and we would all pick our favorite, spread a blanket on the floor and watch TV, one of the three channels. It was a special time. Now...have that banana split!!!
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry! I was the oldest of three kids growing up. Then I had five kids.

      It's like a chip picnic. I like that. I used to spread out a blanket for my kids, and they'd sit on it for reading time during the summer when they were home from school.

      Thanks for sharing your memories with me.

      Delete
  5. Oh that sounds like so much fun. We didn't not have designated night but it was usually the weekends we all did something. Great memory. Congrats on the new release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having family time is a must.

      Thanks for visiting, Juneta!

      Delete
  6. Aw, what a great memory to have of your childhood. And congrats on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Family Night memory and tradition. @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're mom was a genius. I love that idea! During the Christmas season, I would fill the advent calendar with slips of paper that had a bit of fun or a treat listed...doing a fun night would have been the perfect addition!

    Best of luck on your story.

    <a href="https://reallyrealhousewivesofamerica.blogspot.com/>Really Real Housewives Blog</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your twist on the advent calendar.

      Thanks for visiting, Elizabeth!

      Delete
  9. First, congratulations on Doctor Mon - I'm looking forward to my step-great--grand-kids reading it.

    Love those 'Family Night' and 'Mom's Friday' memories that have gone on to inspire another generation - may it continue for decades. Real interaction beats phone-apps distractions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Roland! I think you're my biggest supporter. Other than my daughter and other children and grand kids, of course.

      Delete