Tuesday, February 13, 2018

A Turtle is a Boy's Best Friend / Slice of Life


My first Slice of Life post!

Last week, my eleven-year-old grandson's turtle died.

I had found his turtle six years ago on my screened-in porch when I shook out a blanket. And out plopped a turtle about the size of a quarter.

Baby Patio

How did it get there? I would leave the screen door cracked open for a stray mommy cat who would seek shelter for her and her babies at night. I suspect she brought this itty bitty turtle onto my porch.

We named her Patio.

We had her for a year before she got too big, so we gave her a new home with my eldest daughter. Sometime later, Patio found her forever home with my grandkids, and my oldest grandson claimed her as his. My grandsons have a few other turtles and love them all so much. So much, in fact, that the illustrations for my picture book Slow Poke are of my grandsons and their turtles.

Patio portrayed a male turtle named Samson.

Illustration from Slow Poke. Patio is on the right.

My grandson came home from school last Wednesday to find his buddy had passed away. They noticed she had started to show signs of illness two nights prior and ordered medicine, but she wouldn't hold out for it, which would arrive the next day.

My grandson buried Patio in their yard. He tied two pieces from a palm branch together into a cross to mark her grave and wrapped his favorite red and black earbuds around its base. Next to the cross, he set a large, empty container of turtle food in the dirt. And he added a few painted stones he collected from #BrevardRocks, a movement in our county that involves people painting and hiding rocks everywhere and anywhere for others to find.

He drew a picture of Patio that said, "R.I.P. Patio. We love you very, very much." He taped this drawing on the wall then set their other three turtles in front of it as if they were paying their respects. He took a picture of this to have forever on his phone.



They say a dog is a man's best friend, but maybe a turtle is a boy's best friend. Or at least that was the case for this little boy.

32 comments:

  1. What a lovely story! It brought a smile to my face to think of the relationship that developed with Patio. I love that name, too! I think turtles are fascinating and maybe that is what attracts kids to these creatures. I was happy to know that there are several more turtles to be cared for by your loving grandson. Welcome to Slice of Life! It is a wonderful, supportive blogging community! I look forward to reading more of your posts! ~Carol~ From The Apples in My Orchard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol! Thank you for commenting and visiting! I was excited when I saw the Slice of Life challenge, because I've been wanting to start blogging here but wanted a blog hop to join.

      Yes, he has other turtles to care for, but he says he wants to get a bigger one sometime so the other big one (Speedy) won't be lonely.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to SOL. It's a great community for sharing. Loved your story and I know your grandson will have many great memories of his favorite turtle. Looking forward to reading many more great slices from you. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. That's what this community is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for a warm welcome! My daughter, his aunt, gave my grandson a gold turtle charm about the size of Patio when I first found her. He wears it every day now.

      Delete
  3. Welcome to #SOL18, Elaine. TwoWritingTeachers is a great community of bloggers. And you know we will start our annual challenge on March 1 -- writing and posting a slice of life every day for the month of March. This will be my third March to participate. Wonderful story; touched my gramma heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think I’ll be able to post ever day, but I’ll do a Tuesday post ever now and then. :)

      Delete
  4. The image of your grandson putting Patio to rest is a year to e. You paint it slowly with your words. Rest In peacw, Patio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to SOL, Elaine. Love this story. The turtle's name made me smile. Over the summer we had a cat come and stretch out in a sunny spot of our patio. It wasn't a stray. It would leave every evening and come back early afternoon the next day. We nicknamed it "Patio Cat".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patio Cat is a cute name for a daily visiting cat.

      Thanks for the welcome!

      Delete
  6. Welcome to SOL!! Thanks for jumping right in to comment and join our community. My favorite part is "blog hopping" and finding so many similarities with others all over the world. We're glad to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter has taught me that blog hops are the way to go and to comment, comment, comment. ;)

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. Lovely story, even if sad about the turtle.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am delighted to welcome you to slicing - and your debut here is powerful, indeed. I happen to have a very soft spot in my heart for turtles - in kindergarten we had two tiny ones in our class before the sale of these were banned, and one of our pets was named Slowpoke! (He lost every race to Speedy). I love reading of Patio's rather long history here. I think he was supernaturally planted in that blanket. I look forward to reading more of your work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran! Thank you for a warm welcome!

      That is too funny. My grandson’s other turtle is named Speedy. (The big one in the photo.) Speedy portrays Slow Poke in my story. :)

      Delete
  9. Welcome! What a wonderful first slice! I love Patio’s “origin story,” and the sweetness in your grandson’s actions. I’m looking forward to hearing your voice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a precious story! It's so true - boy's best friend! My nephew had a guinea pig and that guinea pig was truly his best friend! Poor Patio - may he rest in turtle heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Johanna! Anytime a little kid’s beloved pet dies is terribly sad.

      Delete
  11. The connections we make with animals are real. Kid or adult. Welcome to slicing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to Slicing! This reads like a picture book in the making! Pets are a big part of all of our lives. Thank you for sharing.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of turning this into s picture book...

      Delete
  13. Welcome to the community!
    I adore turtle...thanks for the slice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Everyone who has commented here has been so nice.

      Delete
  14. I agree with the posts above; this could be a picture book. Welcome to our Slice community! Hope to see more of your posts, especially in March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chris! Thanks for commenting! I don’t think I’ll be posting in March, though.

      Delete
  15. Turtles are so cute and their names...so fun. We always love the pictures too. Thanks for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved reading your slice of a boy and his turtle. The pic with the three turtles paying their respects is precious. Welcome to the slicing community!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a little turtle, so this really breaks my heart. Wow. What a slice!

    ReplyDelete